Sunday, July 12, 2026

 

Day 2: My Backstory – From the Classroom to Home Decor
Yesterday, I shared my exciting new commitment to the Ultimate Blog Challenge. Today’s challenge is all about giving you a glimpse into my history and sharing how I got started in my niche.
I am not a professional blogger. Instead, I created my blogs as a meaningful space for personal reflections, business ideas, and educational assignments. But long before I ever typed out a blog post, my passion was rooted in something else entirely: home decor and community.
The Spark of a Side Hustle
For many wonderful years, I worked as a school teacher. While I loved education, I also developed a side hustle as an independent decor displayer. It all started when I attended a home show myself. I absolutely fell in love with the merchandise and the vibrant atmosphere. I walked right up to the displayer and simply asked, "How could I become a displayer, too?"
That single question launched a decades-long journey of hosting home and virtual parties. I was blessed to represent three of the absolute best companies in the industry:
  • Home Interiors & Gifts (under the leadership of Mary Crowley)
  • Celebrating Home (founded by Steve and Penny Carlile)
  • Signature HomeStyles, a wonderful company that took us under their wings and offered us a fantastic opportunity.
Adapting to a Changing World
Times change, and the direct sales landscape has shifted. Most of these great companies have closed their doors, and companies like Celebrating Home Direct no longer offer the classic hostess rewards programs. Then, COVID-19 arrived, completely changing how we gather and connect.
Through every single change, what I loved most never wavered: the beautiful merchandise and the joy of meeting new people.
Why I Am Here Now
Even though the eras of living room home parties have evolved, my desire to share ideas, reflect on business, and connect with people remains as strong as ever. This blog is my new "virtual living room."
Thank you for being part of my backstory, and I can't wait to share more with you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for giving us a little glimpse into your world and how you evolved professionally to this point.

    ReplyDelete